Friday, March 28, 2008

BLIND ALLEY

A mean wind wanders through the backcourt trash.
Hackles on puddles rise, old mattresses
puff briefly and subside. Play-fortresses
of brick and bric-a-brac spill out some ash.
Four storeys have no windows left to smash,
but the fifth a chipped sill buttresses
mother and daughter the last mistresses
of that black block condemned to stand, not crash.
Around them the cracks deepen, the rats crawl.
The kettle whimpers on a crazy hob.
Roses of mould grow from ceiling to wall.
The man lies late since he has lost his job,
smokes on one elbow, letting his coughs fall
thinly into an air too poor to rob.


P.S : Sometimes,you feel like the entire world's conspiring against you.today was one such day.N yeah,didn't mention heaven..He gives me strength now,surprisingly!

8 comments:

Sreetama said...

This made me feel a little depressed! But thanx for mentioning 'rose!' It was like the silver lining of clouds! Even I feel that everyone's conspiring against me. So much so that I doubt friendship but this world is not that cruel u see! :-)

Cinderella said...

You talk a lot like a lil cousin of mine....your age he too is...
Only he can get gory, when he's really screwed up in the head...

You can check out his page...the link 'dawn awaits' on my 'take a peek' list...

Liked it, but your happy posts are nicer. I still rem'ber the 'hattfull' post...

Howz you ?

the basu said...

@sreetama:depressed I was really,but yeyyy am not anymore!actually me was more of a victim of circumstances than people this last time..this world is a leveller,I see that :)

@cindrella:life be a mixed bag no??happy times are nicer but wont you people bear the sad times with me;lemme clarify,my works are predominantly fiction,a mere reflection of my moods k?
me had a torrid time lately but through it now..couldn't be better actually

Cinderella said...

Thnx. Appreciate it.

Cinderella said...

Heck no !
Thats why I thought atleast 10 times before speaking my mind. Guess you got it all wrong.

We're both regulars on each others pages, so its obvious I'd be the last person you'd want to plagiarize. Oh, I aint saying you would or something...know what I mean ?

I was actually kinda shocked...and read the whole thing like 3-4 times...to make myself sure that it was mine indeed. And you also never mentioned me anywhere...

So...got irked...thats all...
Put yourself in my place and then temme whether that was not normal...?

the basu said...

It was...server died at the wrong time;of course I can't prove it..anyways I apologise again.

Cinderella said...

Hey dont..please. Thats ok.
We're good.
:)

the pheonix rises said...

oi what's all this haan???jinxed?!:)
you are a real dumbo baby.hihi
and this must be after tcs na?
what a way to take out frustation!!